With people coming to the meetup from all over the world, travel and hotel information is extremely important to make sure everyone gets to their destination and has all of the necessary information to make sure they have a hotel room or a camping spot waiting for them. Here you will find all you need to know to help you.
For people traveling from outside the US:
- If you are coming to the US, especially for the first time, you will need to make sure you have the correct travel documentation. The obvious one is a passport. If you don't have one already, make sure you apply for your country's passport in good time, as they may take time to process. You can find out from links to your country's government websites and passport issuing offices.
- Many countries come under the Visa Waiver Program which simply requires you to fill in an Electronic Travel Authorization System (ESTA) form (cost $14). To find out more information visit here: http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/
- You may find that you need a visa in order to gain entry into America. This is a separate document to your passport and will need to be applied for, usually separately from your passport. There is a helpful website run by the US Department of State that explains what you will need. The website is: http://travel.state.gov/visa/.
- In addition your local travel agent should be able to provide you with guidance and advice.
- Your travel documents will be one of the most important things that you will carry with you to AvatarMeet 2013, so it is important you make sure you have the correct ones and you look after them.
- The closest airports to Shenandoah National Park are the 2 Washington DC airports: Dulles International (IAD) and Reagan National (DCA).
- You can travel from Dulles airport into DC a number of ways. A taxi will set you back about $64. However there is a cheaper alternative. There is a Washington Flyer bus which runs every 15 minutes to West Falls Church Metro Station. The cost is $10. You can then simply get the Metro into Washington DC from there (Link: http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm). Fares vary from $1.70 to $6.75.
- Regan Airport is connected to the Metro system to take you where you need to go in Washington DC. (Link: http://www.wmata.com/index.cfm)
View AvatarMeet 2013 - Shenandoah National Park in a larger map
Ground transport:The AvatarMeet planning team is actively working to arrange carpools from the Washington DC area to the Big Meadows site in Shenandoah National Park.
- If you have a car with space, please let the planning team know when and where you're coming from by editing the comments/notes field in your profile with something to the tune of: "Will be driving from DC to Shenandoah on Thursday 7/25 mid-morning(?), back to DC on Monday 7/29 mid-day".
- If you are looking for a ride and having trouble finding one, contact the planning team and we'll help find you a spot.
- There is a $15 fee for private vehicles entering Shenandoah national park. You pay at a toll booth as you get onto Skyline Drive. The vehicle pass is good for unlimited entry for the day of entry and the next 6 days.
When to arrive:
- Attending the informal pre-meet in Washington DC:
People are arriving at various times earlier in the week in DC. It's a good idea to check out the AvatarMeet 2013 area in your favorite Avatar community and ask when and where people will be in DC.
- Attending only the actual meetup:
There will be a group welcoming evening including a welcome address on Thursday July 25th in the evening.
- Check the Event Calendar for a full up to date schedule of events.
- The official hotel for the meetup is the Big Meadows Lodge, located at Big Meadows at Mile 52 of Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. We have a group rate for a discount at the hotel for AvatarMeet 2013
- We have made arrangements with the hotels for Thursday night (July 25th) through Sunday night (July 28th) (Check-out Monday), so everyone will receive a discount for those nights at the hotel. You can of course reserve more days, without the discount
- Check-in is at 3:00 PM and check-out is at 11:00 AM
- We have arranged a special deal with the hotels, which includes discounts for everybody.
- The hotel has a full service dining room with reasonable prices. Some meals will likely be arranged as "clan meals" at the group campsite with a small requested donation.
- Traditional rooms with two double beds, private bath.
- Preferred rooms with two queen beds, TV, AC, private bath, balcony or patio.
- Lodge rooms with one double bed, shower.
- Rooms in one and two-story buildings, exterior access. No elevators.
- In-room clock radios, coffee makers.
- No in-room phones. Direct line for Big Meadows Lodge Front Desk: 540-999-2221.
- House phones in service area. Cell phones receive fair reception.
- All rooms and public areas plus 25 feet from buildings are smoke free environments.
- Cooking with charcoal or propane grills is prohibited in or near lodging rooms. This policy is strictly enforced and the lodge management has the right to ask the guest to vacate the premises if this policy is not adhered to.
Cost:The room rates are as follows:
|Rooms||Single / Double||Single / Double||Single / Double||Single / Double|
Room rates subject to 5% state tax + 5% occupancy and $4.75+ tax utility add-on + $ 1.00 donation to the National Park Foundation * per night.
Keep in mind that by finding a roommate, your hotel cost is essentially cut in half! Some rooms can sleep up to 4 people (2 queen or double beds) if you're on a budget.
How to make your reservation:
- Reservations may be made by calling 1-877-247-9261. Give group Code "5A06RY" or ask for the room block for AvatarMeet
- Book on-line - http://www.goshenandoah.com/Big-Meadows-Lodge.aspx. Use group code "5A06RY" for discount.
- Deposit of the first night’s lodging rate plus taxes & surcharge is required at time of booking
- After July 5th, 2013, the group prices prices & availability is not guaranteed, contact the hotel directly for information.
Camping & Hiking page.
- Camping at the group site: $20
- Staying at the hotel/lodge: (at own cost, see above)
- Group meals: $33 for all the meals; you can also chose to dine only some meals with the group; please let us know so we have the right amount of food!
- Luray Caverns group trip: $15 (Assuming we have at least 20 people, otherwise it's $24)
- AvatarMeet 2013 limited edition T-shirt: $18
- Park entry: $15 per vehicle.
- Plus we're requesting a donation of about $14 (feel free to give more!) to help fund common AvatarMeet costs (logistics, firewood, screening & Na'vi class tech, etc...).
That's a total of only $100 for the 4 day event!
You can pay for everything (except park entry & your hotel) right here online, or in person to Mikko at the event.
Simply click "Add to Cart" next to each item, edit the quantity for the donation item to add any specific dollar amounts, and hit "Checkout" to pay via PayPal or Credit/Debit Card!
Or you can just hit "Add to Cart" next to the top item and pay for everything in 1 go!
|Pay for eveything in one go! (Luray Caverns group rate + AvatarMeet 2013 T-shirt + Group campsite & all meals + $14 donation to general fund)||$100|
|Or buy/add items ala-carte:|
|Luray Caverns - Group rate (Minimum 20 people!)||$15|
|AvatarMeet 2013 T-shirt (Limited edition! only 1 per person please.)||$18|
|Group campsite (4 nights)||$20|
|Group meals||$4 / $11 / $18 / $33|
|AvatarMeet 2013 general fund donations (logistics, firewood, screening tech, etc...). Edit quantity in cart to set amount, $14 recomended. Can also be used for any other misc items to AvatarMeet.||$1|